Monday, May 25 2009 - 9/11 Consequences
FBI Blows It: Supposed Terror Plot Against NY Synagogues Is Bogus
By Robert Dreyfuss, The Nation
May 23, 2009
By the now, it's maddeningly familiar. A scary terrorist plot is announced. Then it's revealed that the suspects are a hapless bunch of ne'er-do-wells or run-of-the-mill thugs without the slightest connection to any terrorists at all, never mind to Al Qaeda. Finally, the last piece of the puzzle: the entire plot is revealed to have been cooked up by a scummy government agent-provocateur.
I've seen this movie before.
In this case, the alleged perps -- Onta Williams, James Cromitie, David Williams, and Laguerre Payen -- were losers, ex-cons, drug addicts. Al Qaeda they're not. Without the assistance of the agent who entrapped them, they would never have dreamed of committing political violence, nor would they have had the slightest idea about where to acquire plastic explosives or a Stinger missile. That didn't stop prosecutors from acting as if they'd captured Osama bin Laden himself. Noted the Los Angeles Times:
Prosecutors called it the latest in a string of homegrown terrorism plots hatched after Sept. 11.
"It's hard to envision a more chilling plot," Assistant U.S. Atty. Eric Snyder said in court Thursday. He described all four suspects as "eager to bring death to Jews."
Actually, it's hard to imagine a stupider, less competent, and less important plot. The four losers were ensnared by a creepy FBI agent who hung around the mosque in upstate New York until he found what he was looking for. Here's the New York Times account:
Salahuddin Mustafa Muhammad, the imam at the mosque where the authorities say the confidential informant first encountered the men, said none of the men were active in the mosque. ...
Mr. Cromitie was there last June, and he met a stranger.
He had no way of knowing that the stranger's path to the mosque began in 2002, when he was arrested on federal charges of identity theft. He was sentenced to five years' probation, and became a confidential informant for the F.B.I. He began showing up at the mosque in Newburgh around 2007, Mr. Muhammad said.
The stranger's behavior aroused the imam's suspicions. He invited other worshipers to meals, and spoke of violence and jihad, so the imam said he steered clear of him.
"There was just something fishy about him," Mr. Muhammad said. Members "believed he was a government agent."
Mr. Muhammad said members of his congregation told him the man he believed was the informant offered at least one of them a substantial amount of money to join his "team."
So a creepy thug buttonholes people at a mosque, foaming at the mouth about violence and jihad? This is law enforcement? Just imagine if someone did this at a local church, or some synagogue. And the imam says the people "believed he was a government agent."
Preying on these losers, none of whom were apparently actual Muslims, the "confidential informant" orchestrated the acquisition of a disabled Stinger missile to shoot down military planes and cooked up a wild scheme about attacking a Jewish center in the Bronx.
It gets even more pathetic:
The only one of the four suspects who appears to have aroused any suspicion was Payen, a Haitian native who attended the Newburgh mosque. Assistant imam Hamid Rashada said his dishevelment and odd behavior disturbed some members, said the assistant imam, Hamid Rashada.
When Payen appeared in court, defense attorney Marilyn Reader described him as "intellectually challenged" and on medication for schizophrenia. The Associated Press said that when he was asked if he understood the proceedings, Payen replied: "Sort of."
Despite the pompous statements from Mayor Bloomberg of New York and other politicians, including Representative Peter King, the whole story is bogus. The four losers may have been inclined to violence, and they may have harbored a virulent strain of anti-Semitism. But it seems that the informant whipped up their violent tendencies and their hatred of Jews, cooked up the plot, incited them, arranged their purchase of weapons, and then had them busted. To ensure that it made headlines, the creepy informant claimed to be representing a Pakistani extremist group, Jaish-e Muhammad, a bona fide terrorist organization. He wasn't, of course.
It is disgusting and outrageous that the FBI is sending provocateurs into mosques.
The headlines reinforce the very fear that Dick Cheney is trying to stir up. The story strengthens the narrative that the "homeland" is under attack. It's not. As I've written repeatedly, since 9/11 not a single American has even been punched in the nose by an angry Muslim, as far as I can tell. Plot after plot -- the destruction of the Brooklyn Bridge! bombing the New York Subways! taking down the Sears Tower! bombing the Prudential building in Newark! -- proved to be utter nonsense.
Robert Dreyfuss is the author of "Devil's
Game: How the United States Helped Unleash Fundamentalist Islam" (Henry
Source URL: http://www.alternet.org/world/140209/fbi_blows_it%3A_supposed_terror_plot_against_ny_synagogues_is_bogus/
The Newburgh Four -- And The Goverment Mole Who Betrayed Them
Roth - May 22, 2009
We're starting to get a rich picture of the four hapless Jihadis who were arrested Wednesday night for plotting to bomb two New York synagogues, as well as the FBI informant who deceived them. And the overall portrait that's emerging is that of a group of struggling, disaffected petty criminals, who bonded at a Newburgh, NY mosque over having spent time in prison, before being taken in by a Pakistani immigrant looking to win leniency for a crime of his own.
There's little doubt the bumbling would-be bombers went far enough with the plot to demonstrate that they had the intention to commit terror, and for that they'll pay the price. But the whole tale comes off perhaps more as a sad glimpse into the lives of a loose group of aimless and obscurely embittered Americans than as a dire illustration of the threat of home-grown terrorism.
Based on reports in the New York Times, Post, and Daily News, and the Associated Press, here's what we've learned about five men at the center of plot:
David Cromitie, 44
- Described as the ringleader of the plot, Cromitie has spent 12 years in prison, most recently for selling drugs to undercover officers behind a school.
- During his last two incarcerations, he changed his listed religion from Baptist -- the faith in which he was raised -- to Muslim. After getting out of prison two years ago, he told relatives that he had converted and his new name was Abdul Rahman. His mother says that when he visited a few years ago, for the first time in 15 years, and told her of his conversion, she told him: "Get out of here."
- He told the informant last year that his parents had lived in Afghanistan before he was born, and that, thanks in part to that personal tie, he was angry about the US killing of Muslims there. But his mother now says neither she nor his father, who left the family when Cromitie was a young child, ever lived in Afghanistan. Police now think Cromitie was lying to boost his "terror cred."
- A relative of his girlfriend says: "He was always making up big-time stories. Big whoppers about everything. He would just lie for conversation."
- He would host the other three men on the "creaky porch" of his Newburgh home, drinking and barbecuing.
- He admitted in court yesterday that he had smoked pot before the bust, and smokes "regularly."
David Williams, 28
- David Williams had lately grown a beard and started to read the Koran on slow nights at his steakhouse job.
- After buying a gun for $700 from a man he described as a "supreme Blood gang leader" for use in the plot, he told the informant that he would have shot the gangster and kept the money had the two men been alone.
- Prosecutors said he was "bragging, boasting he'd shoot anyone who tried to stop him" from carrying out the plot Wednesday night, and that he said he was looking forward to watching news accounts of the attacks.
- He suggested that the men refer to the synagogues they intended to destroy as "joints."
- He once told the parole board he dreamed of being a chef.
- He has a 7-year-old daughter and a newborn son. He had recently moved to Newburgh from New York City where he had been studying computer science, to live with his mother and help care for his younger brother who was dying of cancer. "David's a very sensitive man," says a longtime friend. His girlfriend described him as "a beautiful person in-and-out."
Onta Williams, 32 (no apparent relation to David)
- At a 2003 sentencing, Onta Williams' lawyer said he had been addicted to cocaine since he was a teenager.
- While the men were plotting the attack, he said that since the US military is "killing Muslim brothers and sisters in Muslim countries, so if we kill them here with I.E.D.'s and Stingers, it is equal."
- His uncle said that he was "brainwashed" in prison by converted Muslims, after his mother died and he became embroiled in a custody battle with his ex-wife.
- He used to enjoy singing and doing impersonations. But his sister now says: "Right now, to me he's, like, the dumbest person on this Earth."
Laguerre Payen, 27
- Maybe the most pathetic of a pathetic bunch, Payen was unemployed and took medication for schizophrenia. A law enforcement source said that on Wednesday night, Payen "was off his meds - needing to be particularly crazy to do the deed." He was hospitalized after the arrest.
- His lawyer said he is "intellectually challenged" and has "a very low borderline" IQ.
- A cousin said his mother is also mentally ill, and his father is dead. She said doesn't think Payen knows how to read.
- A recent visitor to his apartment said it contained bottles of urine, and raw chicken on the stovetop. Elsewhere it was described as a "filthy crack den."
- He had previously served 15 months for assault, after driving around the Orthodox-Jew-heavy town Monsey, firing a BB gun out of the window. He struck two teens, and also snatched two purses.
- He was supposed to be deported back to Haiti, but an immigration judge stayed the sentence, because he was judged insane.
- An upstate motel owner, identified
by the New York Post as Shahed Hussain, 52, he became a government
informant in 2002, after he was busted for helping immigrants cheat on drivers
tests while working as a DMV translator. He was hoping to win leniency in his
sentencing and avoid being deported to Pakistan. (It's unclear how the Post
got Hussain's name. A spokeswoman for the US attorney's office told TPMmuckraker
it was not released by the government).
- He started showing up at the Newburgh mosque, where all four men attended
services, around 2007. An imam at the mosque said he invited other worshipers
out for meals, and talked about Jihad. "There was just something fishy about
him," said the imam, saying that some members "believed he was a government
- The imam also said he had been told that Hussain offered at least one member
of the congregation a substantial amount of money to join his "team."
- The owner of a local restaurant (either Denny's or Danny's -- reports differ)
where the Newburgh Four would regularly eat rice and beans said that a few months
ago, a fifth man starting showing up. He appeared to be of South Asian descent
and would usually pay for the meal. The restaurant owner said he thought the
man was the boss.
- This isn't his first sting operation. A few years ago, he posed as an arms
dealer who had sold a shoulder-launched missile to be used to kill a Pakistani
envoy. Two Albany men, Mohammed Hossain and Yassin Aref, helped him launder
money from the supposed sale, and were convicted and sentenced to fifteen years
It's easy to laugh at this gang of goons -- and we've done
our share of that. But, frankly, it's also hard not to feel some compassion
for what looks like a group of struggling, credulous, under-educated men, existing
on the fringes of society, who lacked the intelligence or willpower to avoid
getting taken in by a government informant anxious to mitigate his own situation,
and by their own vague understanding of radical Islam and the hole it might
fill in their lives.
And as for what this might say about the threat of home-grown terror, it's almost reassuring that the biggest terror bust we've seen in a while has this sad-sack group at his center.
The views expressed in this article are the sole
responsibility of the author, who is solely responsible for its content,
and do not necessarily reflect those of 911Truth.org. 911Truth.org will
not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements
contained in this article.
Fair Use Notice
This page contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always
been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such
material available in our efforts to advance understanding of political
issues relating to alternative views of the 9/11 events, etc. We believe
this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided
for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17
U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit
to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
information for research and educational purposes. For more information go
to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use
copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond
"fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.