Thursday, August 25 2005 - In the Media
Motassadeq convicted of being Atta's friend
The "War on Terror" was launched because the "Pearl Harbor of the 21st century happened today." That is what the White House tells us George W. Bush wrote in his diary on the evening of September 11, 2001. However, the "War on Terror" has now lasted longer than the United States' involvement in the Second World War, and there is no end in sight.
As everyone knows, Osama Bin Ladin is still on the loose. Or is it his double?
How serious is the US government about neutralizing or prosecuting the people it says were responsible for 9/11?
What is the US government's evidence for its version of what really happened on September 11th, 2001?
The Motassadeq case raises these questions, but it is useful first to recall a few past examples:
Several of Bin Ladin's brothers and relatives were in the United States on September 11th. They were spared the indignity of having the FBI question them about his possible location or plans. Instead, they and dozens of other high-status Saudis were immediately flown to big cities and allowed to leave for Saudi Arabia on special flights, starting in the days when the general "no fly" order still applied to all other travelers.
In November 2001, the Pentagon ordered an air corridor cleared so that Bin Ladin's comrades-in-arms could escape a siege at Kunduz. Pakistani intelligence agents and al-Qaeda operatives were allowed to fly to Pakistan, as Seymour Hersh reported soon after, citing military sources who were unhappy with the policy.
Earlier this month, a CIA field commander during the Afghanistan offensive of October-November 2001 told Newsweek that the Pentagon refused to close off the escape routes out of a besieged position at Tora Bora, although the CIA was certain that Bin Laden was hiding there.
The US corporate media tends to depict these curious actions as matters of incompetence, if they report on them at all. (Apologists for the official story do sometimes point to the Bush-Bin Ladin family business connections as a possible reason for allowing the Bin Ladin brothers to leave the country without questioning.)
But after stepping down earlier this year, the number-three man at the CIA, AB "Buzzy" Krongard, may have let the cat out of the bag. He offered a rationale for why it would be better for Bin Ladin to remain free. Was this the policy of the CIA during his tenure?
Krongard's statement becomes even more interesting when we recall that he was previously the head of AB Brown, the bank that brokered many of the suspicious stock transactions indicating foreknowledge of the Sept. 11th attacks. Does Krongard have a personal reason to prefer that Bin Laden remains uncaptured?
The German case against alleged "Hamburg cell" member Mounir Motassadeq fits the pattern. His was first convicted in 2003, as an accomplice to nearly 3,000 murders on 9/11/01. The conviction was overturned because the United States government had refused to cooperate with the German court in establishing Motassedeq's guilt.
Citing reasons of national security, the US denied access to documents and refused German requests to question the alleged masterminds of 9/11, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Ramzi Binalshibh. These two men are said to have been captured in Pakistan (Binalshibh in Sept. 2002, "KSM" in March 2003). The US government says it is holding them in undisclosed locations as "enemy combatants."
Their purported interrogations by the FBI make up a large part of the official story of September 11th as told in The 9/11 Commission Report. But no one from the 9/11 Commission or its staff ever got to question either of them in person.
The government has refused to say whether it will ever present either of them for prosecution as the masterminds of 9/11.
Was "KSM" really captured in March 2003? Are he and Binalshibh really in US custody? Or was KSM killed in a Sept. 2002 shootout in Karachi, as the Pakistani press reported at the time?
As with most other aspects of the official conspiracy theory, the US government's word is supposed to stand in for actual evidence.
In the second Motassadeq trial, the German government gave up on trying to gain cooperation from US authorities. Motassedeq was once again acquitted as an accomplice to the murders of September 11th. The court instead convicted him for consorting with Mohamed Atta and other purported "Hamburg Cell" members, taking as gospel that these were the ringleaders who carried out the 9/11 plot almost entirely by themselves.
The following was published Saturday, August 20, 2005 by washingtonpost.com
Friend of 9/11 Hijackers Convicted in Germany
Moroccan Guilty of Joining Al Qaeda Cell
By Craig Whitlock
(Original at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/19/AR2005081901557_pf.html. Archived here under fair use provisions, see below.)
(EMPHASES ADDED IN BOLD)
BERLIN, Aug. 19 -- A German court on Friday convicted a Moroccan man and sentenced him to seven years in prison as a member of the Hamburg cell that planned the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
The judge overseeing the Motassadeq retrial, Ernst-Rainer Schudt, criticized the U.S. government for refusing to allow the court to interview or have access to several captured al Qaeda leaders who could have shed light on the inner workings of the Hamburg cell. He also accused U.S. authorities of stonewalling requests for information and of being uncooperative during the trial.
(c) Copyright 2005 The Washington Post (washingtonpost.com)
Fair Use Notice
The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author, who is solely responsible for its content, and do not necessarily reflect those of 911Truth.org. 911Truth.org will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article.
|home | about us | contact | research | grassroots | calendar | links | search|